This week is National School Lunch Week!
We’re rolling out recipes for your school cafeterias to try for NSLW, and they are all going to be published in our first-ever Meals Plus Customer Cookbook. The cookbook will feature over 50 school meal recipes submitted by Meals Plus Customers and recipes using USDA Foods. Every Meals Plus Customer will receive one copy, and additional copies will be available for sale. Today’s featured recipe is Herb Roasted Potatoes and was submitted by Buncombe County Child Nutrition Department (NC).
Herb Roasted Potatoes
20 lbs. potatoes, red, flesh and skin, raw
3 c. oil, vegetable, type b (commodity)
2 tbsp. spices, pepper, black
1/2 c. leaves spices, oregano, dried
1/2 c. spices, parsley, dried
1/4 cup +1 tbsp. garlic, granulated
2 tbsp. salt, table
Onions, raw, 2 LB
1. Wash potatoes – remove brown spots and eyes.
2. Cut into quarters if they are small.
3. If they are larger, cut into 1″ chunks.
4. Combine the oil with all the seasonings and whisk together until well combined.
5. Toss the potatoes with the seasoning mixture.
6. Marinate for 30 minutes.
7. Wash and peel onions.
8. Slice onions into thin strips.
9. Add to the potato mixture. CCP: onions may be prepped 1 day in advance if stored in airtight container and kept at 41°F or below.
10. Place the potatoes in a single layer on sheet pans.
11. Bake in a 400°F oven until the potatoes are tender, lightly browned, and have reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F – 30 to 40 min minutes. CCP: Heat to 135°F or higher.
12. Stir and turn several times to evenly brown the potatoes.
13. Transfer potatoes to steam table pans.
14. Place pans on serving line in heated well.
15. Use a 4 ounce spoodle to serve. CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher. CCP: No bare hand contact with any cooked or ready to eat food.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories – 129.491
Chol. (mg) – 0.000
Sodium (mg) – 151.043
Fiber (gm) – 2.601
Iron (mg) – 0.778
Calc. (mg) – 17.051
Vit. A (IU) – 37.357
Vit. C (mg) – 19.301
Protein (gm) – 1.801
Carb. (gm) – 16.043
Tot. Fat (gm) – 6.812
Sat. Fat (gm) – 0.971
Sugars (gm) – 0.000*
Trans. Fat (gm) – 0.000*
We have been sharing one recipe from our Customer Cookbook all week in honor of NSLW, so stay tuned for more school lunch recipes. Click here for our other featured recipes, and check out the the School Nutrition Association’s NSLW 2015 Toolkit for free handouts, tips to celebrate NSLW and a photo contest!