As a part of the nutrition community, Meals Plus wants to highlight all of the available resources; to help make National Nutrition Month a success!
The Meals Plus Customer Cookbook, editions, 2015, 2016 and 2017, are filled with the most popular recipes from school cafeterias across the country in an effort to help increase participation in the lunchroom, while still meeting USDA meal pattern regulations.
Now that you have new healthy recipes, we want to help you promote them with marketing strategies to be more effective within your school meal program:
The Five P’s of Promoting Your School Meal Program examines Product, Placement, Promotion, Price, and People. While 101 Ways to Increase Participation lays out 101 simple participation techniques provided by the Meals Plus family of school districts and their staff.
For more free resources visit our whitepaper library
This week is National School Breakfast Week!
This Sausage, Egg and Cheese Pretzel Brunch is one of the breakfast recipes from the 2016 Meals Plus Child Nutrition Cookbook, which you can download here. The cookbook includes recipes from Meals Plus Customers and school breakfast recipes using USDA foods. Its hard to beat a recipe this good!
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Pretzel Brunch
Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Food Group Components: 3.5 oz. eq. meat/meat alternate, 2.5 oz. eq. grain
Recipe Type: Entree
Allergens: No Listed Allergens
15 lb. – pasteurized scrambled egg mix, frozen, CNB
100 pieces – soft pretzel WGR buns, 2.7 oz. each
100 pieces – turkey sausage patty, 1 = 1 oz. m/ma
12.5 oz. – American cheese, sliced, RF/RS, 0.5 oz. slices
1 oz. – pan spray
Prior to Day of Service: Pre-Prep:
- Pull eggs from freezer. Open cases and remove pouches from case.
- Place pouches on sheet pans with space between to allow for thawing.
- Place pans on lowest available shelf in cooler to thaw. CCP: Hold below 41° F.
- Wash hands thoroughly.
Day of service pre-prep:
- Clean and sanitize prep area.
- Pull sausage patties from freezer and place at workstation.
- Cook sausage according to manufacturers directions.
- Pull pretzel buns and cheese from the cooler and place at workstation.
- Pull CNB eggs from cooler and place at workstation.
- Place one pouch of eggs in each half steam table pan.
- If using water immersion, heat large vessel filled 3/4 full with water to simmer.
- Add pouches to water between 180° F-190° F. Do Not Boil.
- Stir water and bags every 5 minutes to insure proper cooking, for 20-25 minutes. CCP: Heat until an internal temperature of 165° F is reached for 15 seconds. SOP: To measure internal temperature, place thermometer between two pouches or fold over 1 pouch. DO NOT PUNCTURE!
- Alternatively, place one pouch of eggs in each half steam table pan.
Day of service continued:
- Place uncovered in preheated steamer for 15-20 minutes. CCP: Heat until an internal temperature of 165° F is reached for 15 seconds. SOP: To measure internal temperature, place thermometer between two pouches or fold over 1 pouch. DO NOT PUNCTURE!
- Using thick potholders gently knead each bag of eggs to break up any clumps. Be careful as the bags are HOT and they retain their heat. Hold in warming cart above 135° F. CCP: Hold above 135° F.
- Pouches retain internal temperatures as long as they remain UNOPENED. CCP: Hold above 135° F.
- Wash hands thoroughly and put on gloves. SOP: Never handle ready-to-eat foods with bare hands.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing 1 sausage patty on bottom of bun.
- Top with 1 slice of cheese. Add 1/4 cup scrambled eggs using a #16 disher.
- Add top bun.
- Press firmly together.
- Wrap in foil bag.
- Hold in warming cart, above 135° F. CCP: Hold above 135° F.
Serve 1 brunch pretzel bun. CCP: Hold above 135° F.
Nutrients per serving:
Calories – 390
Chol (mg) – 210
Sodium (mg) – 340
Fiber (gm) – 3
Iron (mg) – 3
Calc (mg) – 195
Vit A (IU) – 503
Vit C (mg) – 0*
Protein (gm) – 22
Carb (gm) – 40
Tot Fat (gm) – 16
Sat Fat (gm) – 6
Sugars (gm) – 6
Trans Fat (gm) – 0.000*