This week is National School Lunch Week!
For NSLW 2017, we are featuring recipes from our 2017 Meals Plus Customer Cookbook. This cookbook will feature 40+ delicious school meal recipes submitted by Meals Plus Customers, and school lunch recipes using USDA Foods. The cookbook will be available to download for everyone this Fall.
Today’s featured recipe is Chicken Quesadilla with Chili-lime Oil, submitted by Charleston County Schools (SC).
Ingredients: Chicken Quesadilla
5 each – chicken breast, char-grilled, frozen
10 oz. – onions, chopped, frozen
10 oz. – pepper, bell, green, diced, frozen
1 c. – peppers, sweet, red, chopped. raw
13 oz. – cheese, cheddar, mild, shredded, feather, yellow
10 oz. – cheese, mozzarella, shredded, part-skim, bag
3 tbsp. – Argo cornstarch, 1 lb.
1 tsp. – spice, garlic powder
1 tsp. – spice, onion powder
10 piece – flour tortilla 8” – 8” flour tortillas
Ingredients: Chili-Lime Infused Oil – Optional
2 tsp.- spice, chili powder, mild, plastic shaker, shelf stable, seasoning
1/3 tsp. – spice, garlic powder
1/3 tsp – spice, onion powder
2/3 oz. – juice, lime, canned or bottled, unsweetened
1 oz. – oil, Canola, olive extra virgin
2/3 tsp – spice, oregano, ground, shelf stable, seasoning
1 tsp. – spice, cumin, ground, plastic shaker, shelf stable, seasoning
2/3 tsp. – spice, salt, table, iodized, canister
2/3 tsp. – spice, pepper, black, ground, plastic, shaker, 30m
1/3 oz. – honey, cover, plastic jug, shelf stable, 6/3lb
Chili-Lime Infused Oil Directions:
Mix all ingredients together. Cover, label, and date. (CLAD)
Chicken Quesadilla Directions:
3 Days Prior:
Pull chicken breast, onions, and green peppers from the freezer.
Thaw under refrigeration.
Dice fresh red peppers and keep in refrigeration.
Two days prior:
- Prepare Chili-Lime Infused Oil
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Drain peppers and onions of excess liquid. Toss and coat with 2/3 of infused oil. (Reserve remaining oil to brush tortillas)
- Arrange on a sheet pan in single layers, in order to roast evenly.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Cool veggies and set aside. After veggies are cooled, combine with chicken, diced into 1/4″ pieces.
- Wrap tightly, label, and keep under refrigeration.
Two days prior:
Mix Cheddar and Mozzarella cheese together with seasonings and cornstarch.
Wrap bowl tightly with plastic, label, and place under refrigeration.
One day prior:
- Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay out 6 tortillas (8″) per sheet pan and evenly distribute 2 oz. cheese mixture and 3 oz. of the chicken, pepper, and onion mixture per tortilla.
- Fold each tortilla in half to make a half moon shape. Lightly press to seal quesadilla.
- Brush top with remaining Infused Oil.
- Wrap pans tightly with plastic, label, and place under refrigeration.
Day of Service:
- Batch Cook.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake for 6 minutes or until golden brown. Take out and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes in warmer before cutting.
- Cut each folded tortilla into thirds and serve with Sriracha.